Thursday, November 6, 2008

What to do? What to do?

I was thinking that I shouldn't broach this subject on my blog but now I have some spare time and an urge to blog. And the topic on which I am about to speak is on my mind constantly and begs to be blogged about.

My best friend's wife and my wife, both of who are Chinese, don't like each other. Now, they are in a war or to be more precise, not on speaking terms, and so making things awkward in our neighborhood since my friend and I live in the same apartment complex on the outskirts of Wuxi, China. It was my son Tony's injury that recently put him in the hospital that caused the rift. The cut and infection of Tony's mouth was the spark that caused a powder keg to explode. The powder keg was always there because of our wives' differing social status. But I shouldn't get into the specific causes of the rift. Suffice to say my wife feels very strongly about what happened then and about things said and done before that night and is an unforgiving mood. I don't see the rift ever mending for a while, if ever.

The rift will mean a separation of sorts between my best friend and I, but I never made any vows to my friend, I made them to my wife. My wife, to her credit, does not want me and Andy to not stay friends. But, Andy has his wife that he made vows to, so the separation can't help but happen.

There is a small chance that maybe time will heal my wife's indigination. Till then, I will keep myself occupied best I can, watching John Wayne movies, rereading Evelyn Waugh and Florence King, and looking after Tony. The rest of Wuxi Expat community be damned.

No comments: