Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Students' reaction to the Obama victory.

For once, I didn't have to coax a news story out of the students. They were all well aware of Obama's election and were even able to offer an opinion about it. I was disappointed to hear that most seem to think Obama's election was a good thing, but their knowledge of the issues of the election was superficial anyway.

A few students said the election result was good because a black man was elected. One student thought the Black's situation in America was still in the 1960s with there being riots and so on. "Obama could get them out of their poverty" was his thought.

The only opinion that the students had of McCain was that he was old.

One student said she didn't know anything about Obama. So did most of the people who voted for him, I thought to myself.


I was the only one in the school, among the staff and students, who was displeased by Obama's election victory. I normally try to keep my opinions under wraps but I couldn't help but voice my displeasure. Seeing how I was a minority on the election, I thought I might as well give the students a differing opinion.


McCain was a terrible candidate. That the lefties at school were saying good things about him and even admitting of an admiration of him only confirmed in my mind how bad he truly was.


The lefties were even high-fiving each other to celebrate the result. The end of "right-wing authoritarianism" said one of them. I didn't know what to say for authoritarianism has always been a left-wing fetish.

No comments: