Sunday, October 31, 2010
- I saw a woman with three children on an electric bike. Not such a bad thing but they wore no helmets.
- Mad Man Disc 3 -- season 2 or 3. I know that guy was gay but did they have to show it? Uggh!! And the Brits and Yanks together in the same agency! I wonder how that works out.
- Bathrooms are haunted in China. That is what some students have told me during Halloween week.
- Tony has a genius for chaos?
- Said a student: I am afraid of two types of animals: birds and chickens. He was scared of chickens, he said, because eating them made him fat. He should have said: I am afraid of birds, especially chickens.
- I saw three men on a motorcycle. None of them wore helmets. From a distance, I saw that the man in the rear was pressing a cloth against the top of the middle man's head. I saw a grimaced look on the middle man's face. And as the motorbike passed me, I saw blood trickling down the middle man's face.
- Another student told me that cooking was trivial knowledge -- I disagreed with her.
- I was a straggler along with Tony on the school trip. That is, Tony and I were the last to arrive at the bus that was to take us back to Wuxi from Suzhou. It is not in my nature to be a straggler -- this was a first.
- I almost lost my voice with the current cold I have. Embarrassingly, my voice has cracked on a few occasions..
Saturday, October 30, 2010
Friday, October 29, 2010
Thursday, October 28, 2010
- Listening to Rush Limbaugh. I remember hearing what a scary person he supposedly was. But I found myself being impressed by his arguments which were reasonably and entirely fair to most Leftist people.
- Reading an article by P.J. O'Rourke on the Nicaraguan Election. I was disappointed by the results at the time because they were in fact a victory for Ronald Reagan. And I then had to admit the Ronald Reagan did deserve a lot of credit for the collapse of the Soviet union. O'Rourke's article also pointed out to me the silliness of the Left.
- Playing Devil's Advocate with an NDP type at Union Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Taking America's side in this man's tirade against America, it suddenly dawned on me that the real prejudices and bigotries were on the Left, not the right. And as time has gone, this has only become more and more so. Think of Bill Maher and that jerk from MSNBC: Keith Olbermann. I couldn't be part of a movement that has those people in it. And even the not-so-bad Lefties, on this count, are few and far between and would have to take lessons from Ann Coulter in civility.
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Here are the American League Final Standings:
In the first round of the AL playoffs, the Senators will play the Monarchs, and the ABC's will play the Red Sox.
Here are the National League final standings:
In the first round of the NL playoffs, the Expos will play the Astros, and the Clowns will play the Reds.
Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Monday, October 25, 2010
In honour of my good friend Harry Moore, who phoned me all the way from Australia yesterday, I offer this link from my other site.
Sunday, October 24, 2010
I look down the street and this is what I see.
Tony wears his school uniform because it is Monday.
Tony always wear a uniform on Monday. You can see more photos of Tony here.
These uniformed security guards, who rode past my apartment building, look to be right out of the sixties.
Saturday, October 23, 2010
The Expos are in their second consecutive FMLB World Series. In Season Nine, they played the A's. They hope to win their second ever FMLB World Series. The Yankees are trying to win their fourth...
And so, the Yankees took a four games to one lead. The Expos hoped to pull off a comeback similar to the NLCS where they came from a 3-0 deficit to beat the Braves. The Expos won two games to make the series 4-3. However, the Yankees ended Expos hopes with a decisive game eight victory.
The Yankees won their fourth ever World Series. The only other team to have done this is the Braves.
Baseball is the Yankees, and the Yankees are baseball, even against my Expos.
It doesn't help that I have a cold.
So, I am not much into anything other than getting through the day, so I leave you with these photos of Tony taken last night on his 38th month birthday.
You can see more of my son here.
Friday, October 22, 2010
Thursday, October 21, 2010
It is a art to wake up Tony in a no-fuss and humane way. And I don't claim to have perfected the art, but I feel I have been effective the last couple days. What I have done is that I gently prod him, singing him gentle songs, tickling him, and getting him into a mischievous instead of bothered mood -- this morning, I had him smiling as he pushed me around so that when his mother came to dress him, he was ready to go.
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
Monday, October 18, 2010
Here are the details in that previous post.
Here was my first proposed 32 team setup:
Here is what will be the final setup.
I have added a few names of Negro league teams.
Sunday, October 17, 2010
- Taking Tony to School: an Essay.
- Andis has to work this Monday or there wouldn't be any trainers at the school during the day.
- Ma Ma, Ma Ma Monday! Ma Ma, Ma Ma Monday!
- Sam Katz for mayor of Winnipeg! His last name starts with "K".
- There it is! I said it! What do you think of that!
- I have been listening to Mark Levine Podcasts. I love the way he calls all his opponents jerks! I would normally have thought this to be rude. But then all his opponents are Leftists and Democrats and Progressives and RINOs.
- The Western restaurant in Hui Shan made an outstanding tuna sandwich.
- Sunday evening, Tony headbutt his father causing a lens to pop out of his father's reading glasses. Tony's mother was able to put the lens back in.
Saturday, October 16, 2010
- I listened to a progressive podcast from Slate. Their talking point was to lament all the money being spent on campaign advertising. (I also heard Obama talk about this, which raises the question of who originally came up with the talking point -- the White House or their minions in the media.) The progressives didn't want to even broach the subject of the fact that the ass-kicking they are about to receive is the result of the fact that the Obama agenda is a fraud and is not at all what Americans want.
- I heard a RINO squish say that the quality of candidates matters (he was referring to the O'Donnell candidacy in Delaware). I immediately thought that if that was so, how did Obama get elected president?
- I don't bother telling the students about the U.S.elections -- but, I should. I do find them exciting to follow. Even if the two sides in the election talk around each other, an observer can gleam some facts from what is being said. (Unlike China where they get fed only line).
Friday, October 15, 2010
- I can see there being a movie about the Chilean rescue. Perhaps, they will call it "33".
- I heard that the coverage of the rescue was wall-to-wall. I am glad I wasn't able to see it. From what I heard on my podcasts, the reporters were gushing annoyingly.
- I haven't thought to get the students' reaction to the rescue. In China, there always seen to be trapped or dead miners, so they might have some extra insight to provide me.
- This passage from a recent David Warren column echoes some things that I have said before about China:
- There is something horribly materialistic about this country.
Thursday, October 14, 2010
- At first I thought that Tony was too sick to go to school. He was very lethargic in the morning, not having the strength to protest being woken up as he usually did. But then just as the decision was made to keep him home and we phoned school in inform them, Tony came alive and so he went to school late.
- It sunny in Wuxi this Friday.
- Video of the Chilean miner rescue could be seen on the bus video screens.
- I have this theory, now, that maybe young children should start school later in the day than they usually do -- the problem with my idea is that this would inconvenience parents who have to go to work early.
- Some of the older students told me that when they graduated from school, they were sent to a company to work. They had no choice in the matter.
- Not too many of my students were aware the NPP being awarded to a Chinese person.
The Expos won their fourth ever division title. They will meet the Reds, who won their second consecutive and third overall division title, in the NLCS
Wednesday, October 13, 2010
- Not much to say today. I am just following routine, though I did add one thing to it -- I dress Tony in the morning in preparation for school. I am sure this helps Jenny but I put Tony's underwear on backwards one time.
- It is cloudy and cool in the Wux. I have been wearing a jacket the last few days.
- Not many Chinese seem to know about the Nobel Peace Prize awarding.
- The Devil Rays lost to the Rangers in their playoff series making their division title victory over the Yankees extremely Pyrrhic I am not sure if a Rangers Yankees series will be compelling. I could see the Yankees blowing the Texas team away.
- Canada didn't make it past the first round of voting for temporary U.N. Security Council Seats. Not that it matters, but I think Canada should withdraw permanently from the U.N. Why we attach such importance to playing a big role in the organization is beyond me.
- One of eight students I had in my class had a sibling.
- Nudity in the defense of Naturism is no vice.
- No respect. The man is in jail and he gets a crack jack prize for his troubles.
- KoW's legacy: a nudist club and a few bankrupt restaurants.
- Iggy Poop is the leader of the Canadian Federal Liberal Party. P. Turd was a predecessor.
- The Double Chocolate Bar: The Chocolate Bar with another Chocolate Bar hidden inside.
- O is Orwellian swellian.
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
Monday, October 11, 2010
The Braves win their second ever FMLB20 pennant and make their sixth ever trip to a FMLB World Series.
I have created two new teams, the Brooklyns and the Polos, to play in the National League. They will represent the old New York National League teams that moved to California.
I have revived the Browns, Senators, Pilots, and Expos. I don't want my leagues to have Marlins or Rays -- sorry, but I don't like their aesthetic.
The Royals have been renamed the Monarchs. I am thinking to honour the old major negro-league teams.
So, without further ado, here is my proposed thirty two team FMLB alignment:
Sunday, October 10, 2010
Below you can see the final standings at the end of the tenth season of FMLB20.
The White Sox won their second ever AL pennant in FMLB20. They will make their fifth trip to a FMLB World Series (so far, they are 2-2 in the WS).
The White Sox will meet the winner of the Braves-Giants National League pennant tie breaker in the FMLB20 World Series. The Braves-Giants series will be the fourth tie breaking playoff ever needed to break a tie for a FMLB League or Division title. This will be the third time, the Braves will be in a tie breaker (they lost and won one previous tie-breaker).