Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Things people do on bikes in China.

I have meant to write a blog entry about things I have seen cyclists do on their bicycles and scooters here in China. But I never have the time to get around to it. So from now on, I will mention the crazy things I have seen when I have seen them.

Tonight, I saw a couple riding their bikes hand in hand.

Earlier this week, I had seen a man riding his scooter while carrying a 15 foot bar of steel on his shoulder. He had only one arm with which to control the bike.


I spent some quality time with my son. But it was only 30 minutes. He slept till ten o'clock this morning leaving me but a half-hour to walk with him as I had to leave for work at 113o.


I used to think the students who said that sleeping was their hobby and joy in life were lacking in imagination. Now, I am starting to think like them. Work and the news leave me only wanting to sleep these days and never get up.

Meanwhile, here is some gloomy speculation about China's plight in the economic crisis. Read this TNR article found via Seablogger. What would a regime change mean for me? Who knows? I can only hope that whatever happens, China deals with the recession peacefully. Living in Eastern China with its nice new highways and its' seeming middle-classness, it seems to hard to conceive of people wanting to rock the boat, as it were. Things seem very sedate here. But this is a big country and things are not what they seem to the naked eye.

No comments: