Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Wuxi, China Earthquake Anecdotes

One of the topics of my speaker's corner this afternoon was the earthquake in Sichuan.  I asked the students to tell me some anecdotes. 

I had two students who were on the 21st floor of buildings and felt the quake.  One of these students felt a headache as a result; the other thought at first that the building she was in was collapsing. 

Another student told me that his two birds acted very strangely about the time of the earthquake. 

Some of the other students told me about getting phone calls from friends closer to the earthquake's epicenter.  One student told me that a person in Chongqing jumped out of a sixth floor building in a panic and died - I don't know whether to believe that or not.  Another student told me a woman who was cooking at the time the quake struck, thought she was sick and so asked her husband to cook for her.  This woman laid down and saw the walls shaking about her before realizing that she was in an earthquake.

Another student told me that her husband in Wuxi was in an elevator that abruptly stopped because of the earthquake.

No comments: