Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Electric Bicycle. Natural Law.

Our new apartment is a long way from downtown Wuxi and so, transportation will be a problem for me.  The buses don't run in the evenings when I am working.  The subway, if it is built, will not be in operation for three years.  Taxis rarely come out into the area of the apartment.  And I can't afford a car so I will have to buy an electric bicycle.

I have been canvassing for information and opinions from students and staff at work about "scooters", and have heard some disturbing things.  Some think I live too far out even for an electric bicycle.  Some have told me it would take 2 hours to get to work by scooter - that is how far out we live. I have been told about how heavy the batteries for these bicycles are: 80 pounds!  It is not easy to carry that weight up three flights of stairs.  I have had different opinions about when I should recharge the battery.  Some have told me I should let the battery completely die before recharging because after a while a battery memory kicks in.  This would mean less storage capacity for the battery.  Another line of thought says to always top the battery up.  I prefer the latter because with the distance I will have to travel, I can't afford to have the battery die halfway through my commute and ultimately, it restricts my freedom of movement.  And of course I heard many, many stories about thieves.  Some people will deliberately deface their brand-new scooter in order to not let it stand out to thieves but apparently that does not even stop them.

But the area we live in is nice and the subway may come out there.   

 

I tried talking about Natural Law and Morality with the students in my English Corner last night.  Some of them seemed to understand the concepts I was discussing.  They all said they didn't believe in natural law or at least they said western and Chinese moralities were not the same. 

Where did the students get their morality from?  Many said they got it from their parents.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

check a website designed just for ebikers.

www.ebikehub.com