Monday, May 26, 2008

Sichuan Earthquake schadenfreude.

 

I didn't go to the Blue Bar last night.  Rare readers may know I planned to, but my wife didn't go along with the idea.  "Honey!", I says, "I'm going to the pub with Andy tonight!"  Her saying "F*** Off!" in response scuttled the plan.  The King of Wuxi didn't either because his wife was at their new apartment late with the car.

Tony is in a whiny mood these days.  The heat (It is time to put the A/C on now in Wuxi) and a fever have put him in the foulest of moods.

One thing I can do to pacify Tony is take him for a walk like I just did this morning.  Wu Ai Jia Yuan has a park that we can walk through.  Going for a walk, I have noticed, shuts Tony right up.  He is too full of curiosity to say much.  One thing he seems to find particularly interesting is seeing the oldsters doing tai chi.

But as soon as Tony arrives home from one of these walks, he becomes miserable again.

The gas lineups I saw on the weekend were on account of the Sichuan earthquake?  That is what the students told me.  Meanwhile, the damage in Sichuan gets worse as more aftershocks occur.  I have also heard that many flights have been canceled so planes can help in the Earthquake relief effort.

I got my haircut yesterday.  According to the students, I now have jet head.  I suppose they mean my hair, which was cut very short at a barbershop that uses an electric clipper, now looks aerodynamic.

A boat goes under a bridge.

Sending text messages to your female students before you have even taught a class will get you fired.  I have heard this recently happened in Wuxi.  Unfortunately, the English teaching profession in China attracts perverts and fuck-ups.

Mini Golf tournament at school tomorrow.  Expect many photos in my other blog.

Yesterday morning, on my walk to work, I passed by a primary school where the students were practicing their marching.  The first thought that comes to my mind is: Those militaristic Chicoms!  They are plotting to take the world with a militarized population!  But, is there a more innocent explanation?  Marching is a good way for the teachers to control and instill some discipline into their large classes.  It may well be that a little marching is not a bad thing.  When I think of the stink that would be raised in the West if the students were marching and the quarter from which this stink would most definitely come, I think a little would be okay.  The Chinese big mistake is to always have this discipline in their classrooms with the resulting monolithic group thinking and stifled individual creativity.

This video of mine has now been seen over 20,000 times.

 

No comments: