Friday, May 2, 2008

Ping-Pong. Lu Qu Middle School. Ironman.

I have made a point of it to play ping-pong everyday at school.  I need the exercise anyway and it is fun to play (though not fun to watch).  So far I have won two games and lost a considerable number more.  The only opponents I have beaten are women.  This teenage boy has been skunking me.

This morning, I went to Lu Qu School on the outskirts of Wuxi.  The middle-school students I taught were excellent and well-behaved.

The film Ironman is playing in Wuxi theatres in English with Chinese subtitles.  I am not planning on watching it.  Every movie I have seen that is based on a comic book has been boring.  Batman and Spiderman put me to sleep.  As well, a  way to chide ignorant people is to tell them to stop reading comic books, or now, to stop watching movies based on comic books.

Some local Expats told me that I wouldn't like the movie because it was not a "Republican" sort of movie.  This review from pajamas media confirms their observations.  Now these local Expats are soft-leftist types.  One of them told me something along the lines of that the Iron Man character was a capitalist with a conscience.  He added that a Democrat was a capitalist with a conscience while a Republican was one without.   It is news to me that Democrats are capitalists or have conscience.  To be nice, you could say these Democrats believe in the Keynesian sort of Capitalism where the government controls the economy by regulating businesses and investing in the economy.  But I really have a hard time believing Democrats have consciences.  If they did, they wouldn't be adopting comic book portrayals of Republicans.  These Dumocrats  might want to learn of the leftists with consciences who couldn't no longer be leftists once they realized the damage that all "nice"  leftist ideas have done to the most vulnerable in society.

No comments: