Friday, May 16, 2008

Earthquake Donations

The students are learning the word "donate" this week because of the Sichuan Earthquake.  I have heard companies all over the city are having fund-raising drives.  But I have heard that the donating has not been without some heavy-handiness from the authorities.  I heard stories that the donations of company employees are often mandatory and as well as there is a minimum acceptable donation amount for each position in a company.

The students have been asking me how much I have donated.  And now that the school had a donation "event", the other employees have been asking me how much money I did donate.

As head trainer, I had to go along with the donation event.  The other trainers choose not to participate for whatever reasons.  One of the trainers objected to the having to make a show of it.  I can understand but, this being China, it may well be a cultural thing as opposed to a "Commie" thing.

So, I gave and if the money goes to the people it should go to, I will be happy.  If it used for illegitimate reasons, then those people responsible will just have to rot in hell.  I did my bit.

No comments: