Monday, December 10, 2007

What do these words have in common?

  • Look at these words:  Florid, Spring, Magic, Sot, Winter, Apple, Kisses, Solar, Computer, Lotus, Yoyo, Disney, King, Queen, Field, Sky, Fly, Cookie, Candy, Florid, Beryl and Horse.  What do they all have in common?  Answer below.*
  • I saw a short fellow, wearing only jeans and one top in this cold weather, pulling an enormous cart,that was filled six feet high with discarded food and had more bags of refuse tied to every possible perch.  The man was hunched over, staring at the ground in the manner of a coolie as he strained to  pull his enormous load.  But he had a cigarette in his mouth and he was well-built.  He was such a startling sight and I kick myself for not having the camera with me to take a photo.
  • The School has a Christmas Party on December 22.  They were thinking of having a rock band, but thankfully the band proved to be too expensive.  Bands at parties satisfy 20 percent of attendees at best.
  • The wife is going to kill me.  I forgot to turn off the computer when I left home.  I realized when I was almost at work. (actually, I realized when I was outside the apartment but I didn't want to turn around.  I would have phoned the wife but she was in bed.)
  • I will be changing offices at school.  I will be back on the fourth floor closer to the classrooms and the admin.
  • I will be going to Shanghai on Thursday to give the proper paperwork to the Canadian Consulate.  I just want to get in and get out.
  • I love talking to students who have babies.  I have many questions to ask them and can at the same time teach them new vocabulary.
  • I had a student whose six month old baby is in Changzhou.  She only sees her son on weekends.  Her parents or in-laws look after the baby while she is away.  That just shouldn't be.
  • At one point, the word about the U.S. presidential election was that it was dead certain that Rudy would take on Hilary after the conventions were all said and done. But there is now talk of both conventions being brokered..  I can remember leadership conventions like that in Canada.  They make for splendid political theater. 
  • The Duke of Wuxi lost a bet to Leo the Greek.  Leo bet the Duke that there would be a penalty kick taken in the match between Arsenal and Middlesborough.  It just so happened, that a penalty kick was awarded four minutes into the match!
  • I received a newsletter from Wuxi Rental Consultants.  Have you?  Click here if you would like to.  It is a good source of info about what is happening in Wuxi.
  • The sponge cake that we gave out at Tony's 100 day party was fantastic.  At least, that is what the Duke and I think.
  • Think of the children.  Read this blog posting and the reactions.  Environmentalists do want to throw out the baby with the bath water.  A WEST Australian medical expert wants families to pay a $5000-plus "baby levy" at birth and an annual carbon tax of up to $800 a child.  Fuck off I say to that person.  How can anyone plausibly say that the Al Gore crowd and  Environmentalists are not trying to bring in global authoritarianism?

*They are all English names that the students have given themselves. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your anti UN/environmentalist vitriol is a bit strange. That reference about the Doctor from Western Australia was news to me. It was news to everyone I spoke to here. You must be a very resouceful guy to find such an obscure article like that. At first I thought it must have been unearthed from from two bit hack tabloid. Then I hoped it was your sense of humour. Now, I just want to take this moment to award you the John Pilger trophy for this months disinformative news item. The Left and Right are well comforted bedfellows and the only people who seem to care about what those extremes mean are out there on the fringe of political anachronisms. Apart from that,.... I enjoy reading your blog. Keep it up mate. Hope to chink beers with someday in the not too distant future.