Sunday, December 9, 2007

It is over and done with.

We held Tony's 100th day party yesterday.  It is a Chinese tradition that I had to do but I am not enthusiastic about.  I did have an okay time last night, but unfortunately issues arise.  Because of the tradition of giving hongbao (red envelopes with money), these affairs are about the evening up of accounts.  It is not such a big deal for me, but it is important to my wife.  As well, the issue of who or who doesn't come has implications too.  So, I am glad I don't have to do one of these things again.  The new apartment we live at is too far out for us to have a house-warming anyway.

Thirty people attended the party last night.  I thank them all for attending.  I didn't want it to be big.  The issue of who and who not to invite was irksome to me.  The food was good.  The room we used had a western toilet.   In the building we were in, there was a wedding going on downstairs.  They spelt Tony's name wrong on the sign downstairs but that is also a Chinese tradition or becoming one.

Before we went to the restaurant, we had ten people in our apartment.  I almost went out of my head.  We had no room for them.

Tony threw up twice: once on his grandmother; once on his mother.  He was freaked out by the occasion.  A lot of people were holding him and looking at him.  I am happy to say that he finds some comfort in my presence.  That made the evening all worthwhile.

I tried to invite as many family type people as I could.  So I am glad to say that two expectant couples attended.  Simon, from England, and his wife are expecting a baby around Christmas time.  Fred, from Oregon, and his wife are expecting around New Year's.

And I kick myself because there were people I should have invited but because I have been secluded, I forgot about them. 

No comments: