Friday, December 21, 2007

Lying Contest.

Here was my idea for an English Corner.  A lying contest to see who could tell the best lie based on the following criteria: plausibility, exaggeration and imagination.  The students would tell the lies and also be judges.  I told the other trainers at school about it and they said it was a good idea.  But good ideas don't necessarily work if they aren't done properly.

One of the top three liars in the contest had to be disqualified because they told the truth.  Leave to the Chinese to use the truth to cheat.  And I did tell them that a lie is an untruth knowingly told.

So the final round was cut to two.  One of the finalists submitted this lie: I will go abroad in two years.  She lost to The Sun is the size of a wheel at sunset.  Whatever that meant.  But it meant something to the students.  Now, I asked the finalist who said she was going abroad what the truth was.  She said that she may go abroad.  No wonder, her lie won no points for imagination. 

The mistake I made was to assume that the students knew what a lie was.  There is just no accounting....

No comments: