Tuesday, December 18, 2007

An AKIC Weekend. Almost.

  • I should be reveling in the fact that it is my weekend but I got stuff to do.  Tomorrow, the Kaulins Family will visit Simon and Nicole, and newly-born Amy at Wuxi People's Hospital Number 4 tomorrow afternoon.  Then, I will do a company class for Simon because I am a nice guy and he had to have his baby a week earlier than he planned.  But that is the way it goes: never according to plan. The plan on Thursday is to go to the B & Q (Wuxi's version of Home Depot) to buy material for the new apartment for which we will get the keys on January 1.
  • Will what is going on in Bali help China's obvious environmental problems?  Of course not. I asked one of my more thoughtful Chinese students this question.  He told me that any law China might pass is not enforced or ignored.  Factories can move to other parts of China.  There is no accountability as well.  During last Summer's Wuxi Water Crisis, scapegoats were found but they were minor officials.
  • Tony's cheeks have become red and dry.  I have to hold his arms down to stop him from scratching himself.  Thankfully, the Internet tells me that it is a common problem with babies.
  • I have moved back upstairs at school and closer to the printer.  Now that I have become the head foreigner at the school.
  • I acquire the supervisory postion through attrition.  I am the foreigner who has stood the longest.  The supervising I have done has given me a lower opinion of humanity that I already had.  Why can't I find other employees like me? 
  • AKIC is the China connection for Seablogger
  • I taught a student tonight who works at Evermore Software, employer of my friend the King of Wuxi.  I told him to change his name from Ruby to Rudy.  Not because I hope Rudy G wins the presidential election next year (which I still do) but it was close to his original English name.  I have never taught a student named Rudy before anyway.  I seek some originality in student names.  I asked him if The King and I looked alike.  No! he said, not even close!
  • I will do a class for 200 or more students on Sunday.  It may be my best attended class every.  And most of them won't understand me.  It is one  of the school's goofy marketing ideas.  I am to teach the students at a Middle School about Olympic English.  How you can teach 200 or more students at one time anything is beyond me.  I also think the Olympics are about as useful as Climate Change conferences.  But I go with the flow because it is something to blog about.  Expect photos.
  • I still haven't done my Xmas shopping.  Since it is not big on my wife's agenda, it won't get done.
  • I amazed how many foreigners come here with left-wing views, take a dim view of the Chicoms except when it shows America in a good light.  Example: the environment.  China's enviroment is bad, but it would be Chicom-bashing to criticize them for it.  They are doing their best.  Al Gore's movie was about how bad America was.  That was the message that one person watching a pirated copy of Inconvenient Truth got out of it. 
  • I am back to being ashamed to be a Canadian.  One of the few Canadians worthy of respect, Mark Steyn, could be the victim of Canadian Thought Police.
  • I am also doing the big class because the other Trainers are too chicken to do it.

No comments: