Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Frank Sinatra's Birthday.

I damn near forgot.  December 12 is Frank Sinatra's birthday.  It is Frank's planet.  It is not Algore's.  We just live on it. 

I am not part of the demographic that likes Frank Sinatra.  When I have told others I like Frank Sinatra, they either reply that I am older than I look or somehow I should look at my birth certificate and conform.  I can only shrug my shoulders in response.  So much of my generation's music is ephemeral. 

Frank was a great singer.  Perhaps the greatest of the 2oth century. His music is better than anything happening today in this the era of anti-music.

Of course, not every thing did he was good.  After the mid-sixties, he was past his prime.  Most of what he did after his comeback in '74 was not worth remembering.  He was a man with a legacy, a magneficent legacy of course, and it was great if you were able to see it in person, but from a distance you were better off listening to his many, many classic albums.  I shudder when I think of the tributes that were done in his honor in the 1990s and the pop frauds that were paying him tributes.

When I sing to my Tony boy, I sing Sinatra songs.   I know that there is no point in my trying to impose my tastes on him.  He will like his own thing.  I can only hope that the guy who makes the world go round can somehow make Tony a Sinatra fan.  It would be a good sign that he was brought up civilized.

No comments: