Saturday, December 8, 2007

Tony's big day. Blue Bar's Third Anniversary.

  • I teach two classes Sunday Morning.  In the afternoon, I will do whatever it is I have to do for Tony's 100 day party tonight.  Luis (www.ponquenet.spaces.live.com) will work for me in the afternoon.
  • I went to the Blue Bar last night for their third anniversary night.  A good crowd was there.  I brought the Toner there and he had many admirers.
  • It was good to talk with an American Republican.   I curse myself because I can't remember his name, but he is from Charleston, South Carolina.  Next week, he goes back to the USA permanently.  He happened to drop into the Blue Bar last night and it was my good fortune to wish him farewell.  I asked him some questions about the American scene.  About  the Sub-Prime debacle, he told me how people were hoodwinked into believing that they were entering a forever rising market and that they were guaranteed to make a profit and gain equity by buying a house.  But these loans were adjustable.  What at first were car-like payments became more and more expensive.  Furthermore, the banks marketed the actual mortgages as investment instruments to unsuspecting types saying they were guaranteed like a seven percent return.  The instruments have been purchased all over the world.  Some places in America, will see lots of neighbors moving.  The American dollar is sliding in value because the Americans are letting it, he says, but they are surprised at how much it has.  He told about a practice of using illegal immigrants in construction but then not paying what was initially promised because the illegals don't have any legal recourse.  But Chinese subcontractors do that to their countrysiders which shows some practices are universal.  In America's case, they have to decide to enforce the laws. 
  • I learned other details about the elevator accident that occurred in Wuxi a few weeks ago.  It happened out in the New District at a newer apartment block.   The elevator fell 25 stories.  A lot of people on the eleventh floor were waiting for the elevator.  When the door opened, there was no elevator.  I wonder how if any of these people may have fallen because it is the Chinese practice to rush into the elevator as soon as the door opens. 
  • At Lambton college in the outskirts of Wuxi, they have Canadian, American and British teachers.  An interesting mix.  I would like to see that here.
  • A Chinese lady walked up to Tony last night at the Blue Bar.  Tony gave her a smile.  She gave him a kiss.  I have heard it is a Chinese custom to kiss stranger's babies if they look cute.
  • The King of Wuxi was trying to get his 300 rmb worth of food at the charity bazaar dinner held at the Kempenski last night.
  • I finished the seventh chapter of "The Dragon and the Foreign Devils" last night.  (I left the Blue at 900 PM).  It talked about the first major incursion of Europeans in China.  The Europeans were interested in China, but the Chinese thought of the Europeans as barbarians.   The Chinese thought of themselves as the center of the world and everyone else were vassals.  The first favorable views of China held by Europeans soon changed to disappointment and then disdain.  This strain in relations continues to this day.  It explains much that I have experienced here.  But I admire the Chinese and as well as feel frustrated and surprised by them.

No comments: