Monday, January 19, 2009

My last blog entry of....

...The Bush Administration? There is no point in me talking about it. There is so much on the Internet, I have nothing new to add. But as a Canadian, I am interested in David Warren's take on 0 and W. In his view, Obama is the American Pierre Trudeau. Now, I don't care much for Trudeau and his legacy. I can only hope Obama does do for America, what Trudeau did for Canada.

Like, Warren, I will look inward. Last night, on my ride home, a couple on a electric bike wiped out beside me. I and the tricycle driver beside kept on going. I should have stopped, even if my poor Mandarin would have made the situation awkward. Maybe, I have been in China too long. Remember this rare reader, if I get too high, mighty, and haughty. As a human, I can easily forget my bad moments or rather chose to ignore them.

I think I will show the Wuxi of Oz for my last movie class of the year of the mouse (or is Rat!). I can't show Saturday Night Fever.

Tomorrow will be my day off, but it will be a busy day for me. The K family will go downtown to do some shopping. We have to buy a lot of things for the Spring Festival and our visit to the wife's hometown. I also have to get my hair cut. I hope I can see some attractive street displays marking the coming of the year of the Ox (or cow?). So far, I have yet to see any.

The corner where they had a wonderful display of mice last year is now without ornamentation of any kind leading me to wonder if the Wuxi government has blown its wad on construction. Right now, the town has empty lots ready for buildings.

Oh! I can't help myself. But this is vomit-inducing. This is a passage from a letter 0 wrote to his daughters and should have keep private:

When I was a young man, I thought life was all about me-about how I'd make
my way in the world, become successful, and get the things I want. But then the
two of you came into my world with all your curiosity and mischief and those
smiles that never fail to fill my heart and light up my day. And suddenly, all
my big plans for myself didn't seem so important anymore. I soon found that the
greatest joy in my life was the joy I saw in yours. And I realized that my own
life wouldn't count for much unless I was able to ensure that you had every
opportunity for happiness and fulfillment in yours. In the end, girls, that's
why I ran for President: because of what I want for you and for every child in
this nation.

No comments: