Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I blog therefore I am.

The title really has nothing to do with the contents of this entry. But it seems to me to be a good title, so why not use it. I may well type something in this entry to justify its' title.

I still feel a blogger's block which is unfortunate because this site has been getting good numbers the past week. The plug from Duff and Nonsense! must be credited for this. Am I flinching because I am in a spotlight? I hope not.

I must thank all the anonymous(es) for their comments both sympathetic, mean, and indeterminate. To one commenter I must say that I have no intention, despite my carping, of moving back to Canada for a while. Things are just too interesting in China for me to want to leave. As well, My wife seems happy with her situation and having Tony is all the motivation I need to go to work. Plus, I just don't know what I would or could do when I got back to Canada. Andis Kaulins in Canada doesn't have the ring to it that my blog's current title does.

That story about the husband suing the wife in a divorce case over a kidney proved to be a good conversation starter in an English corner I did this evening. The students all seemed to agree that the husband was nuts. I then put forth the statement that buying expensive gifts to save your love (marriage) is a bad idea and I found most students disagreed. The ones who agreed did make some good points like: buying an expensive gift simply sets a precedent and if the relationship continues the gift-giving must continue at the expensive pace; and the gift may not be seen as a great gift but as an expensive chain.

Another thing happened today that I can write about. (This blog pulls its' punches, believe or not.) A had a student made the following sentence: In my university days, I told my roommates ghost stories to threaten them. She was mistaken about the word "threaten". I hope my readers see her mistake. Or do you? Or did she really mean to use the word "threaten"? I wonder.

Since I don't have a copy of the Bible with me in China, I will read Atlas Shrugged instead. Seablogger linked to an article that said there was a poll taken in the early 1990s that had A.S. listed as the second most influential book in the U.S.A. after the B, or I should say the H.B.

I bought four more old movies from the bin on the top floor of the Nanchang book market in Wuxi, China: The Diary of a Country Priest; The Snake Pit with Olivia De Havilland and Leo Genn; The Country Girl with Grace Kelly and Bing Crosby; and The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer with Cary Grant and Myrna Loy. I hope I have time over the Spring Festival (Chinese New Year) festival to watch them. (My wife is watching Desperate Housewives on DVD as I type away so I can't watch them now).

It is going to be the year of the Ox after January 26th.

No comments: