Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Buying Eggs in Wuxi, China.

The wife had me go on a egg-buying mission this afternoon. She gave me an old cardboard KFC bucket to take to the little supermarket that is nearest our way-out-in-the-boonies apartment. I was required to fill this bucket with eggs.

Eggs are not sold in cartons in Wuxi, China as they would be in supermarkets in Canada, America, and presumably Europe. Some supermarkets will sell them to you in a saran-wrapped tray. Small corner stores will sell the eggs to you individually, giving you a plastic bag to put them in. You pay for the eggs by weight.

The eggs are stored in plastic stackable crates, that I have seen used to transport milk bottles and soda bottles as well. I have seen the crates transported by bike and truck around the city, in all kind of weather. So when you take the eggs home, you have to clean off dirt and grime from various sources.


Which side are you on? asks seablogger. Like seablogger, I am no longer on the side of secular humanism. The break happened to me in the late eighties and early nineteen nineties. The loss of the Sandinistas in the first election, listening to Rush Limbaugh, and my realization that the left was in fact more hateful and intolerant** than the right and conservatives lead to my current positions on matters.

**The use of intolerant as a pejorative has always seemed illogical to me, but I persist in using in the illogical way in the above sentence. One should tolerate the good and be intolerant of the bad. Surely, the Leftists who like to insult people by calling them intolerant don't mean to say that is bad to not like things that are bad. I believe that is necessary to be intolerant in certain situations.

No comments: