Thursday, January 29, 2009

My CNY diary: Day One.

Since I had no access to the Internet while in the Beixing, China countryside, I could only keep a hand-written diary which I will transcribe to this blog. Here are my entries for Day One of my Chinese New Year Odyssey to the Countryside:

  • We caught our bus at a bus station near Baoli Shopping Center. I had too much to carry.
  • On the way to Beixing, we rode through Jaingyin where I saw a government building with a golden dome (the Chicoms love domes) and a stadium under construction.
  • I played pool with my mother-in-law in Beixing. It just so happened that a pool hall is two doors down from her home. I beat her four straight games. I didn't bother to play her again. Tony loves the balls.
  • Tony was scared of the fireworks.
  • I passed the time on day one by listening to podcasts of Hugh Hewitt. Listeners accused him of drinking the Kool Aid because he wanted to be nice about Obama on inauguration day. (*No point in being nice now. 0 is a bastard trying Republicans not to listen to Rush Limbaugh*)
  • Everyone was giving me cigarettes. Taking Tony for a walk, he wandered into a stranger's house. Two men gave me cigarettes.
  • It was bloody cold in the countryside! I was wearing five layers and double socks.
  • The K family went to bed at 730 PM. Once it is dark in the countryside, there is nothing to do. It was nice to hang with Tony and Jenny lazily - usually I never have the time.

No comments: