Friday, March 28, 2008

A plea for a King of Wuxi - Romney ticket! What's doing. David Warren.

If John McCain doesn't put him on the ticket, there will always be a place for Mitt Romney as the VP on the King of Wuxi ticket.  As a matter of fact, I wonder why Romney would pair up with the old fart McCain when he could instead join  the team of youthful Scottish dynamism that would bring about  real change, that is, the daily change of underwear famously promised by his majesty.  Furthermore, Romney's reputation for flip-flopping on issues would be a boon to the King of Wuxi ticket because his majesty loves pancakes, and a good piece of barbecued steak grilled to perfection on a open fire.  Romney would also provide the King of Wuxi with the hair, that his majesty's other choice for VP (yours truly AKIC) lacks.

 

Saturday morning in the apartment and all is peaceful at the moment.  Tony was up at seven and so were the rest of us.  Now he is having his morning nap.  Jenny's father returned to Beixing this morning so just She and I will look after Tony.  When I go to work, she will be by herself which worries me.  I saw how her exhaustion drove her to madness two days ago.

 

David Warren talks about the emptiness of modern life without a belief in God.  I like reading Warren because I find his views different, hard-hitting and forcibly said without a trace of gloopity-goo.  That is, he has the proper tone of contrariness without being overly sentiment.  Talk to him and you know you are not talking to a fanatic.  I think he would hold up well to the scoffing his views would get if I expressed them myself to others.  Frankly, I would be intimidated to talk like he does.  But his views filled with reason and skepticism about those who disagree with him seem more than just a scoff but thoughts thought out well.  It is a shame he has to go on holiday even though he does deserve it.

I also appreciate Warren because his criticisms of me, unlike the leftists who would have me thinking I want must to bring back segregation and slavery because I won't vote for Obama, are true and to the point.  In the column I have linked, he writes this:

.....describing one person, who varies light reading with an addiction to Facebook and other Internet treats, I might be describing a cross-section of what I call “postmodern man.” He lives as a cipher in a complex “mixed” economy, a tiny little interchangeable cog in a vast dysfunctional machine, designed by competing simpletons to produce “the greatest happiness for the greatest number.” And if you look at all deeply into his psyche, you will find that he is sad.

So much of what he says here, hits home.

What are my views about religion or God?  I would be Jewish or Catholic if I would be anything.  Looking at the Buddhism here leaves me cold.  The symbols do nothing for me.  They seem ugly and do not say anything to me about my life.  Of course, I am looking at religion in a regime that once tried to rid itself of it but is now tolerating it for the purpose of keeping itself in power.  I have thought to become Catholic though it is hard for me now because I don't think my wife would at all appreciate my doing so.  One attempt I made to become Catholic faltered because the people I met seemed to be trying so hard to be hip and Catholic at the same time.

2 comments:

lefobserver said...

PLEASE
CAN YOU ENTER IN MY BLOG IN ORDER TO TAKE THE FLAG OF YOUR COUNTRY AND IT IS WRITTEN IN MY MAP OF VISITORS?
THANK YOU
lefobserver.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I've been reading Warren for years. My former partner has become a fervent Catholic. I sympathize with the worldview of the faith, but I do not accept the Virgin Birth or the Resurrection. These strike me as fantasies concocted out of need for the miraculous. So I remain an agnostic with Christian sympathies. I find that an agreeable place intellectually, if a bit lonely. I wish you well in your own search.