Friday, March 21, 2008

Lack of sleep?

I am feeling grouchy these days.  Being in China during the Tibet crisis, I feel angry.  I am angry at myself for being in a situation where I can't just up and leave.  It may well be that I am not sleeping well these days because I am looking after Tony at night and so have a hard time keeping my temper in check.  It may well be that I am stuck with too many people.  That is, the ignorance and the rudeness and the laziness and the weakness of all the people I have to deal with whether they be Chinese or foreigners is more than a once well-meaning guy, like yours truly, can deal with.

This morning at McDonalds, I had a Chinese fellow bud in line in front of me.  I called him every name in the book I could think of.  He understood enough to know I was mad at him and he said sorry.  But his apology was not accepted.  I should have smacked him in the head.  The guy clearly had no concept of "there are people here before me" when he threw his money and coupons at the counter person.

This sort of occurrence is common in Wuxi.  Most of the time, I fume on the inside when it happens but when I have had lack of sleep I can't control my temper like this morning.

When I arrived at work after the McDonald's incident, I saw one of our trainers, who is leaving soon, at the school early to meet a driver going to the airport.  It was only this Thursday that the Trainer called in sick for work.  Other trainers had told me that this trainer had told everyone on Wednesday about being sick and not being able to make it the next day.   Trainers calling in sick is a headache for me.  The melodrama, I have seen people employ when they tell me they are sick, sickens me.  This trainer was melodramatic to the max.  I really didn't want to talk to her.

But being forced to, I fumed about the man at McDonalds in the foulest language I could employ.  This trainer is gone soon anyway.

No comments: