Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The agony of the blank screen.

What to write about today?  as I look at the blank screen of  my blog writing program.  I have so far come up with a title for a blog entry but little else....

Tony is in his stroller.  He was up at six this morning.  He was in a squirmy and complaining mood.  So what else can we do but put him in his stroller?

The tie/uniform flap continues at the school.  The foreigners in the IELTS department insist that they won't wear ties but they have no problem with a jacket.  The Chinese management insists that if they wear a jacket, they must also wear a tie.  One of these trainers so hates ties that he says he didn't wear one to his wedding.  He even said he would quit over the issue (although he has threatened to quit over other issues before). 

In the other department, the congenital slobs, the jeans and sneakers crowd, are talking human rights issues and so being babies.  The Chinese management has  least given us a choice of ties to wear and we don't have to wear jackets.  Two of us started wearing the ties yesterday.  The slobs did not.  It is always the worse offenders against the common sense idea of looking presentable who get the angriest about dress codes.  Some of them instead of dressing better are dressing worse. 

Things will just have to play themselves out over the next week.  I just hope to see, over the long run, that the trainers no longer wear jeans and t-shirts and that the uniform idea is dropped.   I see the Chinese staff is already rebelling against the ties.  None of them liked the uniform policy.  Some are actually wearing a jacket with no tie.  The uniform policy will either have to be rigidly enforced which will mean people will quit or it will slowly cease to be followed. 

Thursday is a day off for this week.  I go back to work on Friday and then have another day off on Saturday.  I will look after Tony today and hopefully have an opportunity to get some grocery shopping done.  I will listen to Dennis Prager and Hugh Hewitt on the MP3s I have downloaded, I hope.  Maybe, I will see the King of Wuxi in the evening.

I taught the students the word "mob".  One of them then said "Oh! like in Tibet!".

No agony today really.  Life is what it is.

1 comment:

Danny said...

FWIW, I wore a tie in Jinan before I moved to Wuxi. I was surprised that Canlix didn't require one. While I can sympathize with fears about the slippery slope, wearing ties seems like a reasonable compromise.

That said, the idea of wearing a tie the school picked out does sound very unappealing.

Danny