Saturday, March 22, 2008

Chinese students' take on U.S. - Sino Relations.

Yesterday afternoon, I had a conversation class about U.S.-Sino relations.  I, of course, asked the students what they thought and felt about America.  The students feelings ranged form love-hate to hate for America.  The students admired America's economic and business power, and its democracy.  They expressed the typical anti-American foreign policy view as a reason for their hatred.  On Taiwan, they said America should get out of China's internal affairs.  America went to Iraq for Oil.  They said they wanted democracy. But when I asked them what they heard about America's current presidential election, they said the news was that if was very expensive to run in it.

I could tell they had been fed a pile from their government.  Any contrary views I offered the students were probably not understood anyway, and I doubt if the students could have offered an argument if they did.

No comments: