Monday, March 3, 2008

Our Student/Customer service program.

The School has decided to inaugurate a customer service program for the students where they can vote for who they think is the best teacher, tutor, salesperson and receptionist.  The personnel getting the most votes  in these categories can win cash prizes or even a trip to a foreign destination. 

Is it a good idea?  When I first told the trainers about the program, the opinions ranged from hostile to indifference.  A popularity contest for teachers really seems untoward because you have to trust the students to choose the teacher who most helps them learn something.  The more experienced teachers suspect that most students like the teacher that will be easiest on them.  But, then you want to do something that get the employees to want to do a better job.  I have seen that the Chinese employees are excited by the possibility of the money and trip prizes.  Personally, I don't wish to win the prize and couldn't accept it if I did.

Is there much in my position that I can do about this idea?  It is my Chinese employers' company and they will do what they want to do.  I just let them get on with it and help  when I have to.  I really concern myself with teaching the students.  I suspect that there will be jigging of the vote results anyway.

No comments: