Wednesday, January 30, 2008

More Snow to come to Wuxi.

The word around Wuxi is that another big dump of snow is coming this Friday.  What this means for me personally is that tomorrow the wife and I will go shopping to stock up food in the apartment; and I won't be doing much teaching as students won't be coming to the school.

Today, the wife and I spent fifteen minutes trying to  catch a taxi.  We did eventually get one.

My Canadian friend who drives a car here says it was a nightmare to do so today. 

I went to a local expat bar for the first time in six weeks.  I saw the same eight or nine people I saw the last time I went.  And I knew before I went that I would see them there.

The wife and I took the taxi to B&Q to look at the tiling we will be putting in the kitchen of our new apartment.  B&Q is China's version of Home Depot.  One of the most boring places on Earth if you ask me.

I am not too happy about McCain winning the Florida primary.  Rudy G will have to drop out.  What a shame.  The Republicans have given up the presidency.

I read two chapters of a PD Wodehouse book this afternoon at my friend's place.  The man is a brilliant writer.  He always hits my literary spot.  I also leafed through a Sherlock Holmes casebook.  I never read Conan Doyle till I arrived in China and I can only say in my defense: better late than never.

My five month old son Tony can sit in a high chair.  Another new development of which he is making many these days.

The Wuxi TV News showed the government looking after the snow problem.  The truth is this snow is minor stuff and the city has reacted poorly.

No sand was put on the icy roads.  Instead, they used grass mats.

At a nearby food market, I saw old people buying lots and lots of cabbage.  They assume that they will be stuck in the house for a month and cabbage stays edible for a long time.

None of the people in government now would ever win an election with secret ballots.  Who is going to vote for someone who keeps people waiting for 45 minutes before making a 45 minute gaseous speech?  That is the approach of a government leader here when speaking to citizens.

The snow hitting China has a good chance of paralyzing Chinese New Year travel.  Could the government have a social unrest problem (a constant worry for Chicoms) if half the country is left stranded because of traffic foul ups on China's biggest travel day of the year?

None of the shoes I have bought in China are water proof.  Go figure.

No comments: