Sunday, January 13, 2008

Cynical Student. Election in Taiwan.

I had a one-on-one conversation class with a well-spoken student.  The topic was freedom of information.  The student had a lot of interesting things to tell me about it.

He first told me that he didn't believe anything the Chinese government said but he felt safe enough to speak his mind on the mobile and in emails because he was small and unimportant in the scheme of things.

I asked him if he had heard about the recent elevator accident in Wuxi where 24 people were killed.  He told me he had heard nothing about it.  When I told that an accident like that in a city in North America would be very big news that it would be impossible to  get away from, he told me that most people here feel that China has too many people so how important is it if 24 die here in an elevator accident or 50 die there in a mining disaster?

There was an election in Taiwan.  I asked the students about it.  A few had opinions.  One student said that it was good that the KMT won because they want Taiwan to join with the Mainland, or as I said they want the Mainland to join with Taiwan.

No comments: