Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Going to the New House.

  • It is Saturday and Sunday in AKIC land.  For you people who are stuck in your drab normal everyday this-world existence, it is Wednesday and Thursday.  And I feel sorry for you.  I really do.  But by reading this blog, I know I am bringing a little sunshine and even a little common sense into your lives.  And I am not expecting any payment for it.  Anyway, thank you for reading and watching, you rare and sometimes lovely readers and viewers.
  • It feels like it is 5 degrees Celsius in my non-centrally heated Wuxi apartment.  Residences, south of the Yangtze River (and we are south of the Yangtze) in China don't have central heating or insulation.  So zero degrees outside is much more uncomfortable here than in Canada where we could put the central heat on.  In Wuxi, you are subject to drafts and low temperatures inside.
  • I wake this morning with my son Tony beside me.  Unbeknownst to me, sometime in the middle of the night, my wife put Tony in the bed between us.  Not recommended in the manuals but it is cold in the apartment so the little man needs all the heat he can get.
  • The snow yesterday mostly melted.  It still lingers on roofs and untrampled areas.  I hear that in the outskirts of Wuxi where there is less heat radiating from buildings, you will see snow that is greater in firmness and quantity.  I will investigate this personally when I go out to the New House complex, which is in the outskirts, to see how work is progressing on our new apartment.  I will also prove I care about the new apartment.
  • The cafeteria at U.S. congressional cafeteria has gone green.  Here is the link from Seablogger.  I note the puritanism: "We are trying to save the planet here!"
  • David Warren talks about how he and others label him politically.  He prefers to call himself a reactionary.  I like that label.  A reactionary looks at every stupid modern notion and idea , and calls it what it is.
  • More activity in my Facebook group The Misanthrope's Corner.
  • When the wife says mama he baba, Tony looks at our wedding portrait.
  • Time to take a shower.....
  • An Australian comments on Canada's gift to the World.  I asked some students what they thought about this gift and I had one tell me that it would cause wars.
  • Thomas Sowell, a man I wish was advisor to Barak Obama or any Democrat for that matter, writes about the unintended consequences of green policy.
  • I can get a smile from Tony when I say he-ha-hi-ho.
  • It was only for a day that people in China could access my blogspot site without proxy.
  • There is a conflict between the green movement and the movement to reduce poverty.  It can't be talked or legislated away.
  • Elle Presidente tells me we are going to the New House at 1230.
  • The mother-in-law made some dumplings that taste awesome with hot sauce.
  • I wonder if the Golden Age of Wuxi Expatdom has passed, or I just don't get out much these days.  When was this so-called Golden Age? you ask.  When I got here about three years ago.  Wuxi Life and Wuxi softball were starting.  But somehow it just went flat.
  • The King is happy now that Mitt Romney has won the Republican Primary in Michigan.  The King must like guys with nice hair.  He would never vote for me because of my bald spot.  But that is okay because I can always use the bald spot card when we have political discussions.  Although, I don't have to use it often because the King, being a Liberal Party of Canada member, finds himself trying to rationalize the many untenable policies that his party has enacted in Canada like Human Rights Commissions.

No comments: