Thursday, January 3, 2008

Back to work in 2008.

Life goes on in the Kaulins household.  We had a major dustup on Tuesday and Wednesday.  That be the wife and I.  Quarrels are a part of Married Life so we have settled into an Uneasy truce.  I will have to change some of my ways.  The wife works hard.  She is looking after Tony which is a 24/7 job for her.  I can help when I can but, Tony likes me only for play.  He already knows that his Mother is the go to person for most of his practical concerns.  There have been times when only his mother can placate him.  Still, I have to do more to placate his mother.

The wife is also doing a lot as far as the Apartment decorating, which starts tomorrow, is concerned.  I could not do it all myself even if I wanted to.  The wife is only able to deal with all the salespeople and decorators.  There are times where I will be the bored bystander.  Still, I do have to show more enthusiasm for the apartment decorating process.  I have stated previously that the buying of property and owning a house has never been something I have been enthusiastic about.  The expense and the maintenance, to me, seem time-wasters that take me away from what I would rather be doing: blogging and philosophizing and reading Evelyn Waugh and Louis L'Amour novels.  As well, the wife has strong opinions about the apartment and it isn't my inclination to fight with her about it.  I have lived in so many places and moved so often, and yet I couldn't tell you what my ideal configuration for my home would be.  I just adapt.  I will adapt to the whatever apartment configuration my wife decides.  She has provided for my ultimate desires: there will be a book shelf and oven in the new apartment.  That is all I ready want (and of course the Internet).  Everything else, she has carte blanche.  Still, she wants me to be more involved in the decorating.  I don't think punching out a workman, if need be, will placate.  I will have to do much more than that.

So I had eschewed making resolutions for 2008, but now I will have to make them.  Do more to make the wife happy, simply put, is my resolution for 2008.

  • As I walk to and from work, I will observe people doing stretching exercises in the nearby park.  I have seen old people swinging their arms back and forth clapping in a such ordinary way that it is hard to believe that it is exercise, but that is what they are clearly doing.  This morning, I did see a woman bend down to touch the ground with the palms of her hands.  That was limber.  I could never do that even when I made a point of trying to do everyday.
  • As I hinted in the last entry, the mother-in-law is with us to baby sit Tony as the wife goes to supervise the decorating of our apartment.  Ma Ma's  smoking is a problem and she does cheat and smoke inside the apartment.  This is where my wife's wrath can be an advantage.  My wife can chew her out.
  • Friday is my first day back to work in 2008.  I still can say HNY! to everyone.
  • On New Year's Eve, I ran out of money on my phone sending HNY messages to everyone.  I mention this because someone else had the same complaint.
  • I see my video uploaded to Youtube has failed.  I tried again this morning but same result.  I don't know what the problem could be.

No comments: