Friday, February 27, 2009

Morrissey and Philip Larkin

In my younger days, I had an anthology of poems by Philip Larkin, and the albums and DVD videos of the Smiths and Morrissey. I nearly fell off my seat when I saw this article about them in the conservative City Journal.

They are both morose little-Englanders in their own way says the article. In my time, I have found moroseness an attractive trait.

But, my readings of late and my conservative/libertarian leanings have seen me drift away from Morrissey. He tried to promote animal rights in one of his video. Also, I didn't bring the Larkin poetry anthology to China - he didn't make the cut.

Still, there is something to be said for Morrissey and Larkin. Morrissey, despite differing so much from me, is an attractive figure. He has made interesting videos and songs. Some I can still sing by heart. Larkin famously said sex only “began,” famously, “between the end of the Chatterley ban / And the Beatles’ first LP.”

When I go home tonight, I may pull out the Smiths and Morrissey DVDs I have. I can find Larkin on the 'net, surely.

4 comments:

Vampire Rabbit said...

Morrissey has a new album out, I just saw a clip on YouTube. He has really aged and actually gained some weight.

wuxi andis said...

One problem with Morrissey's act is that it doesn't age well. I remember how fat he looked when his previous album came out.

Anonymous said...

Reading poetry like Larkin's and listening to music like Morrissey's are two pretty clear indications of fundamental good taste, however seasonal yours or theirs is!

My blog "The Tao That Can Be Named" (also ex China)is at: www.blognow.com.au/borisknack

There's quite alot of good poetry in it which you might also enjoy reading. Cheers.

Scott Timberg said...

these are artists with a lot in common... i urge you to revisit both of their work!! it's amazing how infrequently people make the connection you do -- it shows me how far away the worlds of real poetry (as opposed to the faux-bukowski brand) and rock music really are in the anglo-american world...

tks for your post. a sign of good taste indeed.