Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Tony says "Close the Door!"

Remember earlier I told you that Tony said "A,B,C" ? This afternoon, he said "close the door!" after I had said to him. He then almost said it a second time.



I will keep you abreast of other incredible things he says.



This afternoon, I watched most of this film "The Song of Bernadette" starring Jennifer Jones and featuring an appearance by Vincent Price. I hope to watch the end tonight.



At an intersection near the Casa K, I saw a couple of, what I assumed to be policeman, with a motorcycle. One of the policeman (or security guys) sat on the cycle lazily smoking. He wore sneakers, a grey uniform, and a police helmet normally worn by riot cops. His partner waved in a friendly manner at Tony. What were these cops doing on the corner? I ran into a neighbor or ours who working in the area told me that delegates of the World Buddhist Forum are staying at a nearby hotel. Her husband, who is a policeman, is working special duty for this forum.



Here is a photo of the anonymous "H" who had left a comment on my blog a few days ago. "H" is from Winnipeg.






I watch a mass on EWTN as I make this entry. I am not Catholic but I am curious about masses.


Here is an accurate description of the difference between be President Oprah and his predecessor "W": Despite his many faults, Bush sought to do good. Obama just wants to look good. Read the quote in context here.



When I was taking Tony for a walk through the apartment complex, a man working on the third phase of the complex's construction picked up Tony. The man dropped his wheel barrow to do so. I didn't know what to make of it. I don't think you would see construction workers in North America doing that. For one thing, they would be worried that their buddies would consider them pedophiles. Secondly, they would have to be worried about getting sued. Here, I assume that the fellow thought the kid was cute.


From this article: Marx was wrong: The opiate of the masses isn't religion, but spectator sports. Well, Marx was wrong about many things. Although, it can be said that in North America, sports are a substitute for religion for many people. There are people who have shrines to their favorite sports teams in their houses and cars. I was like that. Team pennants always graced my bedroom walls. Since moving to China, I have lost track of spectator sports. I will look at the standings of the leagues I have always followed on the Internet, but I don't feel deprived if I don't watch games anymore. Not seeing the games, the teams in the standings are disembodied. That certain teams are in first or fifth or in last seems like a random thing to me. That a certain team could be in a certain place was at one time a matter of great import. Now, it is like the random permutations of a computer sports game. I now find myself moving toward religion. Christianity defines me even if I haven't followed and am reluctant to. But it is where I am coming from. Since the rare person likes hockey here in Wuxi. It doesn't define me in the eyes of the people I meet here.

No comments: