Sunday, March 8, 2009

Bye Bye Magazine Booths!

I've just noticed but the Wuxi local government has decided to get rid of magazine booths. I assume they did so in some attempt to give the streets a sanitary as opposed to cluttered look. I disagree with the decision. Though, I didn't buy from the booths myself. I could only envy the Chinese who could. The booths were colorful and often displayed interesting images. Above, you see this magazine seller has to display her reading material on a table.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How strange! I like you only wished I could take a magazine home to read! I would argue that the table sellers make a bigger mess than the booths. Lets see how long it lasts.

wuxi andis said...

I have talked to some students about the issue. It turns out that the booths will come back. The local government is selling a booth license for about 200,000 rmb. So all the vendors have to buy one or go out of business.

There is a story of one woman commiting suicide because she saw the loss of the booth as the loss of her livelihood.

I suppose the government wants to control the booths for when the subway opens.