Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A T.V. Interview I hope I never see.

I was busy Wednesday afternoon. I had classes to teach and interviews to do. As I was preparing and thinking, one the Chinese staff said they needed me to do an T.V. spot. I said sure without enthusiasm because I was busy and because I have become a veteran of doing these things. Appearing on T.V. has no novelty and gives you no celebrity value you can cash on.

The interview I was roped into doing in the afternoon was the worst thing I have ever done. Two minutes before the interview I was given the script for an question and answer session. The script was incomprehensible. The Chinese wrote it without consulting us. I would have needed an hour to edit the thing but, as it was, I only had one minute. So I "winged it" and did so badly. I had an embarrassing moment of gaping open mouthed inarticulateness.

The Chinese will always do this. Give you something a minute before, or tell you the day before. Maddening!

No comments: