Saturday, July 12, 2008

Testing

Strangely enough, yours truly, a teacher, does not give tests all that often. I do give grades for private classes but these do not count toward some final mark. The rare time I give tests is for company classes.

This afternoon, I gave a test to my Timken Company Class. I gave them an oral and written test. The oral test had two parts: I had the students write out minimal pairs I was dictating and I gave them each an oral interview. The written part consisted of a vocabulary test, where the students wrote out sentences for vocabulary I had mentioned in the course to date, and a describe a process test. My range of marks on the one test I have marked is from 14/25 to 21/25 which I wonder is what I want. Do I perhaps want a wider range? Did I make the test too easy?

Besides these questions about marking, I do have one observation to make about testing. It is a rather dull process. There is nothing for you to do but have an eagle eye looking for cheats. As well, time does not fly.

No comments: