Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Immaculate Reception on My Mobile Phone.

You got to love technology. You really do. I have the original NBC broadcast footage of the famous Immaculate Reception Play that took place in the 1972 Divisional Playoff game between the Oakland Raiders and the Pittsburgh Steelers. I downloaded it when it was available on Youtube (it was subsequently pulled off). I don't know what it is about that play, but I can watch it over and over again.

Now, I have been looking at Video encoders on the Internet: the ones that let you change for example MPEGs to other formats like mov. or aapg and so on. I got this idea to put the video I have of the Immaculate Reception on my mobile phone. It took me all of fifteen minutes to do it. I first found out the format that my mobile phone can support (aapg) and then googled for encoders that converted to that format. The encoder I found was free, downloaded and installed in two minutes, and quickly converted my flv format video of the Immaculate Reception to aapg. It took me all of two minutes to download the aapg video to the phone and now I can watch the play on my phone.

Just think, I can have the Zapruder film on my phone next as well as Henderson's famous goal against the Soviets from 1972.

But I got to wonder about the lack of imagination of people who don't understand why I find this so impressive. But then these are the same sort of people who will vote for Obama and not question what charlatan he is.


On my ride home from work, I counted 12 shirtless men sleeping on the side deck of the Hui Shan City Big Bridge, a kilometer long bridge I have to cross to get to and from work. The men sleep there because it is the coolest place to be in a hot Wuxi, China summer. Now, I didn't see who was sleeping on the other side of this bridge which has sidewalks on both sides (most of the bridges I remember in Canada would only have one sidewalk or none) and if I am safe to assume it was the same, then there are about twenty men sleeping on that bridge tonight.

No comments: