Monday, November 9, 2009

Early November Links and Quotes

Sure the pollution is bad, but the traffic is the bigger killer of Expats, or so says the article linked above from the Atlantic.
 
 I have often said that the sole cause of man's unhappiness is that he does not know how to stay quietly in his room. (*I know how and I will show it while Tony and Jenny are away.*)

There is something to be said for no being busy and not even bothering to make a pretext about it.  Being really busy where you don't have the time to think what it is you are doing is terrible  -- no one should want that for themselves.

GK Chesterton Quote

Life is always complicated for someone without principles.

...there is one thing that is infinitely more absurd and unpractical than burning a man for his philosophy. This is the habit of saying that his philosophy does not matter,

David Warren Quote

We should not allow ourselves to be moved by the cold hearts of professional tear-jerkers because when we reward that kind of thing we help perpetuate an emotional order that is dangerously false. We should instead be annoyed by attempts to manipulate us.

Falsehood has more consequences than the revelation of personal insincerity. What happened at Fort Hood was no kind of "tragedy." It was a criminal act, of the terrorist sort, performed by a man acting upon known Islamist motives. To present the perpetrator himself as a kind of "victim" -- a man emotionally distressed by his impending assignment to Afghanistan or Iraq -- is to misrepresent the reality.

Amma Theodora

Amma Theodora lists these qualities for a teacher:
– Have no desire to dominate
– Have no interest in vanity or pride
– Never be distracted by flattery or gifts
– Be in control of the stomach
– Be slow to become angry
– Be as patient, gentle and humble as possible
– Be properly examined and without political ties
– Be a lover of souls


Wang Wei
HARMONIZING A POEM BY PALACE-ATTENDANT GUO

High beyond the thick wall a tower shines with sunset 
Where peach and plum are blooming and the willowcotton flies. 
You have heard in your office the court-bell of twilight; 
Birds find perches, officials head for home. 
Your morning-jade will tinkle as you thread the golden palace; 
You will bring the word of Heaven from the closing gates at night. 
And I should serve there with you; but being full of years, 
I have taken off official robes and am resting from my troubles.

Du Fu
A VIEW OF THE WILDERNESS

Snow is white on the westward mountains and on three fortified towns, 
And waters in this southern lake flash on a long bridge. 
But wind and dust from sea to sea bar me from my brothers; 
And I cannot help crying, I am so far away. 
I have nothing to expect now but the ills of old age. 
I am of less use to my country than a grain of dust. 
I ride out to the edge of town. I watch on the horizon, 
Day after day, the chaos of the world.

No comments: