Wednesday, November 4, 2009

AKIC Weekend Headlines

Dental Trip
My wife accompanied me to the dentist on Wednesday.  The Dentist told her a version of what had happened the week before that didn't jive with what I had recalled.  The dentist told her that I had requested that the work he was doing the week before be stopped  because I told him I was tired.  After she told me this, I felt rather miffed.  I had been told the week before that the "operation" on my tooth was to take three trips so coming back wasn't a surprise, and I definitely didn't tell him to delay the work.  

Anyway, he gave me a filling on Wednesday.  I have heard stories of them falling out after a month so I will just have to hope for the best.  

Trying to piece together the reason for the misunderstanding, the nearest I could figure out was that the dentist asked me if I was tired, and I responded yes because I had gotten up early that morning.  Somehow, the Dentist thought that meant I was tired of the operation and wanted it done later.

Car in the Bike Lane
I suppose that the maze created by traffic designers and lack of parking makes some car drivers feel they have no choice but to drive in a bicycle lane.  But this morning I saw a woman drive her car on a narrow downtown bike lane in the rush hour.  I saw her way was blocked by a whole lot of bicycles and that she was engaged with in a loud quarrel with one of the cyclists whose way in turn she had blocked.

Tony can say some words!
Tony, slowly but surely, is picking up a vocabulary, Chinese and English.  If he wants something to drink, he can say the Chinese "he".  He can say "Mommy", "Daddy", "Water", and "Bye Bye" in English.  After watching Pee Wee's Playhouse continually on DVD, he can say "Pee Wee".

Reading
With others in the apartment, I am back to reading.  Right now, I am in the midst of a collection of Louis L'Amour short stories.  I also borrowed a SAT math test preparation book to play around with the math problems -- to exercise my brain, as it were.  I am pleased to say that I can still do Math.  However, the book was surely writen in the vernacular of a teenage preparing to past an exam.

No comments: