Friday, December 26, 2008

Public Works Projects. Other Wuxi Expat Christmases.

I am living in a huge Public Works project here in the Hui Shan Economic Development Zone of Wuxi, China. There are more public buildings here than you can shake a stick at. Walking with Tony after I took WTU 252, I must have counted five government buildings all over ten floors high on a street that I had not previously wandered, and yet was but a block from the Casa Kaulins.

I wonder who uses those buildings. Does each government official have an apartment 100 square meters in area? As I passed a five storey building with an area of at least 5,000 completely unoccupied square meters, I realized that most of what I had seen was for show - a show of the grandeur of the state. Near the unused building, most construction was taking place.


What were other Wuxi expats doing on Christmas Day? Unlike me, some went to hang out with other expats. Some of them went to the Provence Restaurant where the owner of the Blue Bar had arranged a nice spread, 250 rmb a head, for all who attended. My source also told me that most of the expats who went probably also got laid later that evening. I was told by one of the people who helped open the Provence that it was a great restaurant. I unfortunately never had the opportunity to try the place out.

No comments: