Tuesday, December 30, 2008

2008: the year that was #1

There is no way, I am going to be able to make a magnum opus kind of blog entry about 2008. I will just have to provide you some reflections piecemeal as time allows me and my inclinations push me.
Seeing Tony grow is the highlight of my 2008. I could and have written reams about it.

Another other highlight was the family K move to Hui Shan or Yangqiao, forty minutes from the downtown of Wuxi.
Moving to Yangqiao has seen my life take on an isolated course this year. No longer will I be able to go to the downtown Wuxi Expat haunts very often. The commute takes an hour out of my day. There is no one else out here we can talk to.
My wife and I do wonder if it was such a great idea to come out here. But we made the commitment and there seems to be no question of escaping it.
I was never completely enthusiastic about moving here but did it to make the wife happy. I was somehow expecting the move to blow up in my face.
And it has though not the way I could have foreseen. But is seems so clear now in retrospective. Since it was staring me right in my face but I choose to ignore it. Riding on others' coat tails as we did when we moved here but bound to come to grief sooner or later.
I had figured that the whole public work's aspect of the area where we now live was a signal of its doom, but that just hasn't happened yet - the things we have to look forward to!
I can say that having the electric bike is an experience that I glad to have - it has given me a new perspective on living in China, so there is one good thing I can say about being out here.

No comments: