Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I have one over on my wife.

The wife phoned me this morning at about eight a.m because she couldn't find her keys. In a very frustrated voice, she told me that she had been looking over half-a-hour for them. I told her I didn't have them and hung up. It immediately got me to thinking. For some reason, the door when locked from the outside cannot be opened from the inside without the key. My wife, if she didn't find the keys, would be stuck in the apartment for over 12 hours because I wasn't going to be able to get back home till ten p.m. Tony was clearly the culprit since he likes to play with keys and stick them in things in hopes of being able to open them. I thought to ask the wife if she looked around our water machine because I had seen Tony try to open it with keys.

Asking this question was risky. Nothing can be more annoying to someone who has misplaced something than to ask them if they left it in the usual place. And my wife is not one to be treated lightly with when in a bad mood. But I risked it.

When I phoned her, she answered with a gruff "What?!?", I then asked her if she looked around the water machine.

She did and she found the key, quickly hanging up. I phoned her four hours later to crow about it.

No comments: