Thursday, December 11, 2008

Friday Morning Respite

For how long this respite lasts, I will have to consult or not consult my son who is asleep.

One thing is for sure, when he wakes up - end of respite. Not that that is a bad thing. I think I will use him to make WTU 243.

BTW, I don't have to be at work till 1300 today. So that is the source of the respite.

I have to be careful what I say to my wife. If I tell her I am mad at someone, she may well want to find a way to harm them.

In these depraved times, I will read some Evelyn Waugh for a bit or perspective on things.

I have just let in the maid. She is not fired after all.

Russia is going to pot. They have used up all their foreign reserves in a foolish attempt to revive their economy. Doing something for the sake of doing something is foolish. Try to point out that government attempts to revive the economy by spending are foolish and you get an emotional answer about they have to do something. Point out that that efforts to combat the bogey of global warming will only result in more poverty and suffering, and you will get another emotional argument about something must be done about the damage to the environment. In the first case, markets should be doing something to fix the economy and reorganize themselves which they would normally do without compulsion from the government. The compulsion is unnecessary. In the second case, using environmental damage as an excuse for central government planning is sheer stupidity. Central planning never works. The environment can be fixed locally.

My wife has ordered a Christmas suit for Tony. It will probably be our only concession to the important holiday this year. We do have the money to buy another tree. Tony is also too curious about things like that anyway. We can wait till he is older before we have a tree in the house again. Funny, how the people I know who are religious about Christmas are not religious about it for religious reasons. To mention that Christmas is the celebration of the birth of the Christ child would an invitation for approbation.

If anyone reads my blog and wants to get a hold of me on Facebook, I should say that I am having an awful time getting onto Facebook these days. When I do try to visit the site, it takes for ever for a page to load, and when the page loads it is jumbled up.

Friday is Sinatra's birthday. I will do a tribute on my other site. I would like to play a Sinatra DVD on the television for the benefit of Tony but I don't think the wife will go for it.

I liked the weather that Wuxi had yesterday, unlike the others. It was cold all day which suits me because I hating having to discard layers during the day. Others just wanted the warmth. My problem was that I had more warmth than was comfortable for me.

No comments: