Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Sadism

I had to get up very early to teach a class of middle school students this morning. This particular class is part of a Summer School program we have to do. Of the two classes in the program, the class I did this morning is considered to be the better behaved bunch. I even thought they weren't bad from having taught them before.

But the group this morning was misbehaving and out of control. I had enough of it and made the students stand silently for the last portion of the class. If they didn't want to learn English, I didn't want to teach them.

But I have to teach them tomorrow. So I told them they would do the same tomorrow if they didn't shape up. I hope the threat works.

I have heard stories of teachers becoming Sadistic to children. I can understand the urge but I can't condone it. So, I hope what I did this morning was a necessary lesson for them and that I don't have to do it again. I can't say as I enjoyed it but what else could I do? They were not to be reasoned with. I got up too early to be there with them.

No comments: