Sunday, August 10, 2008

Georgia on my mind!

The Russian Invasion of Georgia is an ill omen to me because of my Latvian heritage. I am always been happy to see that Latvia is an independent country and out of the Russian sphere. But the invasion of a former part of its empire by the Russians recently, worries all small former vassals, now independent parts, of the Old Soviet Empire. The Russians, they suspect, are bent on restoring their Soviet empire and putting those small countries back under their subjugation.

Latvia and othe Baltic States have issued a statement condemning Russia's invasion of Georgia.

What can the Americans do? In the current political atmosphere, there isn't much that can be done. Bush, doesn't have the support of the do-nothing-but-talk Democratic Congress. Obama seems to believe that the U.N. can help. The United States doesn't have the will and that may spell tragedy for small nations like Latvia wanting to forge their own independent existence. The Russians will get away with it.

I watched the first half of the USA - China basketball game last night. The Americans were too big and strong inside for the Chinese. If only the Americans could have been able to sink three point shots, they would have had a perfectly dominant performance.

Tony was up at six AM. He wouldn't let us sleep. He grabbed onto my ears and hairs to get me to pick him up.

Because of the Runner I had last week at school, I will be doing four classes this evening. I rather have the time off, but the extra money will be nice at the end of the month.

I will have 250,000 views on my Youtube channel.

1 comment:

Danny said...

Your thoughts about the US intervening on behalf of its ally Georgia may seem nice in some sort of theoretical dreamworld, in the real world, there's a huge real-world barrier. Are you suggesting that the US move its troops from Iraq, institute a draft, or refuse to honor its agreements and recall the troops lucky enough to have completed their several extended deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan? And how do you suggest the US pay for it?

In an idealized world, it would be great for the US to go around and make good on Bush's empty rhetoric about spreading democracy to places like Saudi Arabia, China, Burma, Zimbabwe, Turkmenistan, Sudan, etc. etc. etc., but in this idealized world (where the US doesn't have to borrow resources from China in order to pay for its wars and where the US has enough troops to be able to handle a new conflict as it arises), I think democracy would already be in those places.