Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Bus Stop and other things.

Here is a collection of random observations from my day:

  • My interest in the Olympics has fizzled. I am just too busy with work and Tony to watch them. I heard I missed a good basketball game yesterday.
  • Two things I saw at the bus stop this morning. First, I saw a poor grizzled poor old man with canvas shorts held up with string, no shirt and cheap sandals. A sight I would never see in Canada. Then, I had a man stop his car at the bus stop and offer me a ride to downtown Wuxi for 35 rmb. I admire the man's capitalistic instincts but he was asking too much. Five rmb and he would have had a deal.
  • I asked a student to make a sentence with "look like". She made the sentence: "I look like myself". I asked her to make a better sentence but the old standby question "Do you look like your mother or your father?" didn't help because she insisted she didn't look like either. So say "I don't look like....."
  • They have put up a poster in the school with the following words in bold letters: "How to learn English more efficiency." We were not consulted about the wording of the poster which was advertising a lecture by a man who was formerly an education head in Wuxi.
  • Peter Malik from Timken is the profiled expat in the latest issue of Wuxi Life magazine. Peter could easily be the King of Wuxi, but he is more the Governor-General type.
  • I had a few reports of people seeing my blog and watching my videos. Courtland told me that a man named Brad knows me from my blog but has never met me. I also had a British fellow telling me that he watched my Apartment Update videos. He is married to a Chinese girl and has a house near Venice Garden, a compound for Expats near Lake Taihu and far from the downtown.
  • I asked another student to make a sentence with "another". She said: "I want another coffee. This one is too hot!!". Wait, then.

No comments: