Friday, November 16, 2007

An ongoing Saturday Journal

It is 940 AM.  I am at work.  Luis sits at a desk near me. 

The weather: gray, dismal and a little cold.

For breakfast: a sausage egg burger and coffee from McDonalds.

Go to www.andiskaulinsinchina.blogspot.com to see the end result of the Toronto- Winnipeg match I started yesterday.

The wife and Toner are at or on the way to the new apartment is take measurements for the company that will be decorating our apartment.

The Toner was in a happy babbly and gurgly mood.  He is becoming more responsive which I live to see except when it causes him to cry.

My first class at 1000 AM is a business plus private class.  Business plus is the first part of the old business plus plus.  Understand?  Probably not, but I don't care at this point.

Off I go to the class!.......

I was thinking about how my shower has only two water temperatures: too hot and cold.  Warm water only comes in short durations.  And I mean very short durations.

A common mistake many foreigners make when they first come to China is to think that cars will stop at  crosswalks...   They don't.

Popular cigarette brand for foreigners in China:  555, Zhong Nan Hai, and Honghe.

Oh yes.  I completed my class.  I told the student that sometimes we can use the simple past tense and the simple present prefect interchangeably.  For example, we can say "I went to the store." or "I have gone to the store.".  However, we must be careful.  Saying "I have been to Sony." or "I was at Sony." mean very different things.  The first is a very general statement about your past.  The second is about a specific time in the past.

Luis is watching the polemic Sicko on his computer.  He says the visit to Cuba was complete bullshit.

In AKIC blogspot, I have been trying to divine the results of Sunday's Eastern and Western Division finals, that will determine the teams playing in the 2007 Grey Cup game, by tossing coins.  Now if you have been following this blog closely, rare reader of mine, you will know that I have been praying for a Saskatchewan - Winnipeg Grey Cup...

Oh Lord, I beseech thee.  Let the Roughriders and Blue Bombers play in the 2007 Grey Cup game!  I will make a sacrifice tonight!!  I forgot to mention in earlier plays that I wanted God to have Saskatchewan and Winnipeg play in the 2007 Grey Cup.

What is going on with AKIC? you ask.  Is he abandoning reason with his praying and divinations?  No!  He is having fun making blog entries.

Speaking of Saskatchewan, here is an excellent blog from the Canadian province.

I am working through the abridged World War II memoirs of Winston Churchill.  I laughed at a couple bits where first WC told FDR that if he didn't win the 1940 presidential election, he would nominate FDR to be the archbishop of Canterbury; and then at a passage where Churchill said there was nothing wrong with being polite to someone before you were about to kill them after he was criticized for being too polite in a note he sent to the Japanese informing them that a state of war existed.

Tune into the latest edition of Radio Derb.  It is hosted by John Derbyshire, a Brit turned Yank, who is something of an expert on China, and like me has a Chinese wife.

President Vaclav Klaus of the Czech Republic: "What is at risk is not the climate but freedom…I see the biggest threat to freedom, democracy, the market economy and prosperity now in ambitious environmentalism, not in communism. This ideology wants to replace the free and spontaneous evolution of mankind by a sort of central (now global) planning"…

CS Lewis: "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

What a joy, it is to read Letters to Marc Steyn.

For lunch, instant noodles.  Yucky Poo!!

I forgot my umbrella!  God Damn!!

No comments: