July 1 is Canada Day (or Dominion Day as old school Canadians, ashamed of what Trudeau did to the country, call it). Here is a list of why I grimace when I think of what has happened to The True North, once Strong and Free:
- The Canadian Broadcast Corporation
- The Rouge in Canadian Rules Football
- Sheila Copps
- Socialist Medical Care
- Gordon Lightfoot
- The Canadian Radio and Television Commission
- The Goods and Services Tax
- Video Lottery Terminals
- Tobacco Taxes
- Human Rights Commission
- The Amalgamation of the Canadian Military
- Provincial Sales Taxes
- Canadian Content Rules
- French on cereal boxes
- Policeman in Saskatchewan who can conjugate French verbs.
- Bryan Adams
- Celine Dion
I shouldn't actually include Curling and the Rouge (the one point given for missed field goals) on the list but I want it to be partially tongue and cheek.
I will spend the day not working. If it stays sunny, as it is now, I will be taking Tony out on the electric bike. We will be proudly wearing our Canadian t-shirts and underwear.
And of course, I will be taking Dominion Day photos and making special Dominion Day WTU's.