Wednesday, February 20, 2008

What I did on my day off.

Wednesday is Saturday in AKIC land.  I had an okay day that provided me with some material for this blog entry.

I had an argument with a neighbor in the apartment building.  Actually, it would be better to call it a shouting match.  Everything in the 21st floor apartment we are staying in, till our new apartment is ready, is cheap.  The first day we moved in, about five months ago, we discovered that the washing machine caused water to leak into the apartment right below us.  That was quickly fixed.  Anyway, the problem cropped up again this morning.  The women from the apartment knocked on our door to tell us about it.  But then she and my wife started screaming at each other.  I really didn't know who was in the wrong in the situation but I felt compelled to take my wife's side of the argument.  So, I call the woman all sorts of names, and repeatedly used the F word which my wife tells me many Chinese know.  I even shook my fist at her when she wouldn't let me close the door, or rather slam the door in her face.  When I eventually did get to slam the door, she then took revenge on us by going to a switch box and turning off the electricity in our apartment.  My wife wanted to do the same to her but I thought it was best to not get in a war.  Any more acts on that woman's part will be taken as a declaration of war.

We had to take Tony to a medical office to get a shot for the flu or something.  The office we went to was so small and crowded that I had to stand outside the building and wait for my wife to phone me to come in with Tony.

When the Chinese decide to demolish a city block, it can be very disgusting.  The block turns into a temporary garbage dump.  Now there are a few block in the downtown Wuxi area where this is happening.  When I am with Tony, I have to avoid these blocks because they must be a source of disease like typhus.  I have seen people still living in these blocks and running shops,  next to  vast piles of garbage,  seemingly ignorant of the risks to their health.

The Chinese must hand out driver's licenses in those red envelopes they give to each other at Spring Festival and other special occaisions.  I saw a man drive his car into a wall as he tried to park against the side of a building.  It was a situation where you saw it coming and you think to yourself "the guy couldn't possibly be that stupid.  This man trying to turn against a wall hit the corner of the building because he had no idea of the turning radius of his car.  It was so laughable.

John Derbyshire, expert on China and an excellent curmudgeon, predicts that the next president of the U.S. will be....... click here to find out.  Considering the lameness of their two candidates, the Democrats have no choice.

John Derbyshire predicts the 2008 Olympics will end in tears for China because athletes aren't going to want to compete in the pollution; I have a theory that anytime a dictatorship is rewarded the Olympics, the dictatorship will soon come to ruin.  In 1936, the Nazis got the Olympics and within ten years their regime was in ruins.  In 1968, Mexico got the Olympics and continued to be Mexico.  In 1976, Canada got the Olympics and we know what Canada has turned into since.  In 1980, the Soviet Union got the Oympics and soon thereafer entered the dustbin of history.  In 1984, Yugoslavia entered the road to extinction by hosting the Winter Olympics.  And now in 2008, Communist/Fascist China is hosting the Olympics.  If the trend continues of Olympics leading to national destruction, the Mao dynasty is sure to fall by 2020.

No comments: