Friday, February 1, 2008

The big snow that wasn't.

It didn't snow as much as expected  in Wuxi last night but the cleanup effort this morning was huge.  You can go to my other blog to see photos of the cleanup.  I have finally been able to get photos of the snow clearing brigades I wrote of earlier.  These be the brigades there were marching about military formation with the lead man carrying a large red flag.

My student this morning told me that are lots of soldiers around the city doing clean up duties.  I imagine they are also around to quell possible social unrest.

I am uploading seven videos to Youtube using its multi video upload feature which I find very handy.  My Wuxi snow videos are getting a lot of hits.  As you may know, I live for video view numbers on my Youtube channel.

When I do the disasters Salon class (salon classes are basically group discussions), I ask the students to tell me their stories about the SARS crisis.  Last night, I had a student who was in Guangdong during the crisis.  He told me he spent his time working round the clock making monitoring machines.  He now works for the monitoring machine division of General Electric here in Wuxi.

I came across this argument in Seablogger:

It’s time America recognized, as Germany, Britain, Sweden, Ireland, India and Pakistan has before it, being a woman is not a hindrance to competence and should not be a hindrance to ambition.

The person who wrote the above was a Hilary Liker, so I find it ironic that the this man would use Margaret Thatcher as an example to support Hilary Clinton's election.  Maggie was her own woman.  She was also a conservative in the tradition of Ronald Reagan who Hilary so recently chastised Obama for liking.  Also, the issue that this man brought up  is a non-issue.  Americans will elect a woman or a black man or a Catholic whose stances and ideas they find acceptable.  Most Americans that is, except many who inhabit the Democratic Party.  In making the statement above, the Hilary supporter is trying to deny while at the same time affirming that America must elect Hilary because she is a woman.  He is probably also stating that if Hilary or Obama don't win the election it will be because America is racist or misogynist, not because these two are inexperienced or dangerous leftists.  Maggie became PM on merit.  Republicans and most conservatives accept people as individuals; they don't pander to groups the way the Democrats do.

Here are the videos:

No comments: