Tuesday, February 5, 2008

My CNY/SF holiday officially begins. No bonus.

Nine days off, starting today.  But it feels like I have been on holiday for a week or since the snow came down.  The school has been very, very slow.  The snow first stopped them from coming and then many stayed away because of the upcoming CNY holiday.

What will I do on my days off?  I will do this: blog.  I will look after the Toner.  I will do some reading (I am almost finished that Tom Clancy novel I started a month ago).

We didn't get any bonus or hongbao from the school.  A teacher from another school, now working with us, said that it was the first time, in the five years he had been in China, that he had never gotten any cash bonus.  It being my fourth CNY, the most our school ever gave us was 300 rmb.  I wasn't expecting much or anything but this teacher from another school said that to not get any bonus or hongbao was considered to be a great insult by the Chinese.  But we are not Chinese.  There are rumors that the Chinese staff got a bonus but were told not to tell the Foreign staff.  It would have been better for my state-of-mind if I had never heard of this bonus issue.

I am up early to watch the results of the Super Tuesday Presidential Primary on Fox News.  It looks good for McCain and Clinton so far.  It is also looking good for Huckabee. 

What is the mindset of people who support Huckabee?  On my journeys on the 'net, I haven't found anyone who supports him.  Shame on me for not bothering to look.

I have seen on the 'net that China is experiencing its' coldest winter in 100 years.  Global Warming?  Ha! Ha Ha!

Bored, I checked the National Hockey League standings last night.  The Vancouver Canucks have fallen to 10th position in their conference and therefore out of playoff position.  The last time I checked, they were in the third seed position in their conference.

No comments: