Sunday, February 3, 2008

Watching the Super Bowl in China.

718 AM:  I am watching a FOX station on the TVU player.  I may be able to watch the game in English.  But the feed is slow.

721 AM:  I haven't seen this in a while.  They are playing the American national anthem.  I am serious when I say this.  I have lived in China for over 3 years.  The singer won American Idol?  Big deal.

723 AM:  I should be watching the game on TV but my Chinese wife wants to sleep.  There no way I can convince of the importance of what I am doing.

726 AM:  I am watching the coin toss.  But the feed stops.  Annoying.  I will also track the game on the NFL site which I can get today.

732 AM:  Kickoff!

739 AM:  I have lost the feed!  I am trying other options.  Maybe TVANTS will work.

744 AM:  Nice opening drive for the Giants.  They have converted on three third downs.

747 AM:  But the Giants stall in the red zone.  The Field Goal is good.   Giants 3, Patriots 0.

750 AM:  I have that score in the squares pool we are doing at the school.

752 AM:  I can watch the American Super Bowl commercials for the first time ever.  Yes!  In Canada, we had to watch second rate Canadian commercials.  What a joke that was.

758 AM:  My feed is not quite live.  I can get the results of the plays faster on NFL.com.  118,936 Views of my videos on Youtube. (That is another obsession of mine).  The wife and Tony are asleep.

801 AM:  The Patriots are in the Red Zone as they break to a commercial.

805 AM:  Touchdown New England!

812 AM:  I get mention in Seablogger.

816 AM:  Back to the game.  Interception by the Patriots.  I have won the squares competition for the first quarter.

825 AM:  Giants almost fumble!

828 AM: Models and Lizards dancing in a commercial.

832 AM:  I am watching the game in 10 degree heat.  Or should I say 10 degree cold?  That is the way of Wuxi apartments.

835 AM:  I am in danger of winning the squares pool for the second quarter as well.  I need the Giants to get a field goal!  I don't want to take all the money from this competition.  I need some Chinese to win.

844 AM:  119,001 views on Youtube.  Meanwhile, the game nears the end of the second half.  The Giants are close but they have screwed up some scoring op:opportunities.

855 AM:  Halftime!  Score 7-3 for the Patriots.  I win the second quarter of the squares competition.   The low score in the game is a surprise.  The 2007 Patriots aren't playing legendary like.  They are sputtering to a 19-0 record.  I have to go to work in 3 hours.  It is time for me to shave and shower and iron clothes.  Outside the apartment, I can see the rush hour.

908 AM:  Halftime show.  Tom Petty.  He is alright.  But I find Super Bowl half time shows to be lacking in intimacy.  There is the big stage and the small show and the crowd below the stage that is being told to act excited.

934 AM:  The game resumes.  The Giants stop the Patriots on New England's first drive.  I have just seen a commercial with Pandas.  I am ironing my clothes for work.

940 AM:  Too many commercials.  The New England coach challenged a play call and gets the ball back on a technicality.  That is just not cricket, as the English would say.

950 AM:  But they don't score so, it does not matter.  With 5 minutes to go in the third quarter, it looks like I could win the third quarter of the squares competition as well.

958 AM:  The Patriots are deep in their own end zone.

1001 AM:  Now, they are not.  They are starting to move the ball.

1004 AM:  End of third quarter:  Patriots 7, Giants 3.  I win the third quarter squares competition.  Worse case scenario.  I need a Chinese person to win the final score.

1006 AM:  119,382 Youtube video views.  What can I say!?!  There are lots of commercials.  It is also my obsession.

1010 AM:  LL Cool J is at the game!

1011 AM:  Big pass completion by the Giants.  The game has just gotten interesting.

1012 AM:  The game is now very interesting.  Giants 10, Patriots 7.

1017 AM:  Go Patriots go!

1020 AM:  They don't.  They punt.  The Giants have the ball.

1025 AM:  My feed is two minutes behind real time.  I can't wait for the results to happen.  Now, the Patriots have the ball again.

1027 AM:  I hope the game doesn't go into overtime.

1028 AM:  I put off taking a shower till 1100 AM.

1030 AM:  I like the Bud Light commercial I just seen where an out of shape man in shorts keeps saying the wrong thing.

1033 AM:  The Patriots are moving the ball!

1034 AM:  They are in the red zone!

1040 AM:  Touchdown Patriots!  Patriots 14, Giants 10.  There is less than three minutes in the game.  Rain, a student, can win the big prize in the squares competition.  Anybody but me!  I say.

1046 AM:  Dream scenario for Eli Manning, the Giants QB. 

1048 AM:  A Victoria Secret's commercial at the two minute warning.  A dream scenario.

1052 AM:  Giants have the ball deep in Patriots territory.

1055 AM:  I just saw the play.  Wow!  Eli looked to be sacked.

1056 AM:  The Giants are in the red zone!

1057 AM:  Touchdown Giants!  Daisy can win the squares competition.

1104 AM:  Game over!  Brothers win back-to-back Super Bowls.  Time for me to take a shower.

No comments: