Sunday, February 17, 2008

Another Poll of Chinese Students' U.S. presidential preferences.

Sunday afternoon, I had a bigger group of students to poll about the U.S. Presidential election.  I gave the students more or less the same choices I gave another group for an earlier poll.  I asked them if they preferred to vote for 1) Hope and Change, 2) Free Medical care, or 3) lower taxes. 

The students split on the first two options, which I would classify as Democratic Party postions; but I did get some votes for the third choice which I  classify as the Republican party option.  The final results of the poll were Democrats 21, Republicans 6.

That the Republicans got as many votes as they did suprised me.  The  Chinese are always fed the anti-Bush line by their government.  One female student did say she would vote for McCain because he was a military hero.

Another one of the students did say that the hope and change option was meaningless.  Other students,  disagreed with her,  and  then  talked about what they thought hope and change meant.  One student said  "hope" meant free medical care.  Another student took "change" as meaning America being nicer to the world.  The  students only proved that these words "hope" and "change" can be made to mean  what   people want them to mean, but nothing specific.

No comments: